This week NYC based Liz Miller, a dear friend of Point Blank, having already being named in the 50 Most Powerful People in EDM this year by Inthemix.com, was named ‘The Most Powerful Woman in EDM’ by EDM blog Do Androids Dance. The list also featured Big Beat Records Head of A&R Gina Tucci.
In the dance label stakes, Big Beat holds a pretty legendary history. Originally launched from New York club roots in 1987 and later bought by Atlantic Records. In 2010, Big Beat relaunched as Atlantic’s dance-focused imprint, and brought Liz Miller (formerly head of UK Label Management at Beatport) on as General Manager.
Launching with the likes of Skrillex, Chromeo and Martin Solveig on it’s roster, Big Beat also releases UK acts like Hot Natured, Metronomy and Rudimental in America. Overseeing everything from A&R to marketing and budgets, Liz has been an integral part of the re-launched Big Beat’s success and continued growth. On top of this she is definitely one of the nicest people in dance music!
We caught up with Liz to say congratulations and find out what we can expect from Big Beat in the coming months…
Massive congratulations to you Liz, so well deserved, how are you feeling?
“I’m absolutely humbled and honored to be included in a list with so many passionate, smart, hard-working, and truly forward-thinking women who I have seen dedicate their time and energy to the growth of this genre over the last 15 to 20 years. I’m equally proud that there are two Big Beat women in this short list. It speaks volumes about the team we have here and the work they do to make us so influential in the EDM space. I’m just the lucky raver that Craig Kallman chose to put in the GM role. Thank you so much to DoAndroidsDance for the honor!”
What advice do you have for any Point Blank business or music production students out there?
“Follow your passion and don’t over think where it’s taking you. If you wake up in the morning excited to do something, even if it’s not in the direction you thought you should go, you’re doing it right”.
Big Beat’s forthcoming release schedule:
- Rudimental’s debut album “Home” is out now in the States via Big Beat
- US release of David Guetta’s newest club single “Ain’t A Party” co-produced with GLOWINTHEDARK, as well as his 9th installment of his FMIF compilation
- New Dog Blood (Skrillex & Boys Noize) EP out this month
- Hot Natured’s debut album “Different Sides of the Sun” out 3rd Sept (UK release will be on the signing label, Pete Tong’s FFRR label)
- Icona Pop debut album “This Is… Icona Pop” pre-order went live today! Out 24th Sept.
- Flux Pavilion’s 2nd EP out in September
- Cash Cash debut EP out in October
- Knife Party debut album coming this fall/winter
- New music coming from Chuckie, Chromeo, Walden, and Skrillex
- Plus two exciting new signings, both male duos from Sweden, yet to be announced…